Everything you need to know about white fillings
Dental decay can lead to cavities, affecting the health and appearance of your teeth. Many people suffer from this but fortunately, with advancements in cosmetic dentistry, white fillings have emerged as an excellent option for restoring decayed teeth.
84% of dentate adults (those with at least one tooth) have a filling. At Lifestyle Dental in Preston, we offer white fillings to help you achieve a natural-looking smile. In this blog, we will discuss everything you need to know about white fillings, including their benefits, procedure, and the advantages of replacing old silver amalgam fillings.
Understanding dental decay
Dental decay occurs when the enamel and dentin of a tooth become softened by an acid attack, resulting in cavities. To address this issue, our cosmetic dentist can remove all the decay from the affected tooth and restore it with a white filling.
Unlike traditional silver amalgam fillings, white fillings are tooth-coloured and blend seamlessly with your natural teeth, providing a more aesthetically pleasing result.
The benefits of white fillings
More discreet – White fillings are designed to match the shade of your natural teeth, ensuring a virtually invisible restoration. This makes them an ideal choice for visible areas, such as the front teeth, where appearance matters.
Versatile – They are suitable for both small and moderate-sized cavities, offering a versatile solution for various dental issues. They can be used to repair chipped, cracked, or decayed teeth, restoring their functionality and appearance.
Preserve tooth structure: They bond directly to the tooth structure, allowing for more conservative preparations. This means that less healthy tooth structure needs to be removed, preserving as much of your natural tooth as possible.
Reduce sensitivity: They have thermal properties similar to natural teeth, reducing the risk of temperature-related sensitivity that can occur with other filling materials.
Our white filling procedure
The process of getting a white filling typically involves the following steps:
- Our cosmetic dentist will examine your teeth, identify the areas of decay, and determine if white fillings are the best treatment option for you.
- Local anaesthesia may be administered to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure. This numbs the area being treated, ensuring a painless experience.
- The dentist will remove all decayed portions of the tooth, ensuring a clean surface for the filling.
- The white filling material, usually composite resin or porcelain, is applied in layers and shaped to match the natural contours of your tooth. A special light is used to harden the filling material, ensuring a strong bond with the tooth.
- Once the filling is set, the dentist will polish it to achieve a smooth and natural appearance, blending seamlessly with your surrounding teeth.
Replacing old silver amalgam fillings
In addition to providing white fillings for new cavities, Lifestyle Dental Clinic also offers the option of replacing old silver amalgam fillings with tooth-coloured fillings. Many individuals feel self-conscious and held back by visible silver amalgam fillings, which can affect their confidence and hinder them from fully expressing themselves.
With white fillings, you can experience more than just a functional restoration; you can enjoy a significant boost in self-confidence. Plus, white filling materials are stronger and more durable, providing long-lasting restorations.
Whether you need a new filling for a cavity or want to replace your old silver amalgam fillings, our experienced dentists at Lifestyle Dental Clinic are here to help.
If you’re ready to enhance the appearance of your smile and restore your teeth with white fillings, contact us today to schedule your consultation.